Do you have to serve anything but beer and wine? Do you have to have a champagne toast? Do you have to have a signature drink? Do you have to serve alcohol, if you don’t drink?
Well….most people expect to have something at a party – especially because they are celebrating a momentous occasion – a once-in-a-lifetime occasion and there are ways to make it easier and less expensive and less stressful, for you: the blushing bride and groom! Here is the short list of alcohol etiquette:
- If you are considering a cash bar, don’t. It is your party and you invited them. Offer one thing to drink and when that is “gone,” make sure there is a backup (a bar that is open and serving in the building) plan.
- Sticking to beer & wine, only, definitely saves money. Skip the hard stuff.
- Fill champagne glasses 1/3 full. (Many of these will remain on the table untouched, anyway; no sense throwing away money)
- Or don’t use champagne – use a bubbly wine, instead.
- Sticking to ONE drink (a signature cocktail that means something to you and your fiancé or to the area) definitely saves money (and bartender costs).
- Don’t let your guests wait in line for a drink – but use this equation: one bar and two bartenders for every 100 guests to make sure you aren’t spending too much on staff standing around. And if you do use more than one bar – put them on opposite sides of the room in plain sight.
- If you don’t drink (and aren’t opposed to drinking), please offer your guests the ability to celebrate.
- If you don’t drink and are opposed to it – skip it but offer something gimmicky: specialty sodas or flavored waters or offer a coffee bar with all the toppings: syrups, creams, etc., instead.
One thing you have to do, if you are serving alcohol at your wedding is make sure you are above the law. Our simplified application has been designed for you to conveniently complete, pay, and submit your One-Day Alcohol Application online for your upcoming special event. Please submit as early as possible, at the latest, applications can be submitted 7 days before your event. Our team of former Special Agents will be reviewing your application for the most common errors that result in license issuance delays and/or denied licenses. Apply for your one-day license, here. Application Processing – ABC Consulting processes any alcohol licensing for you. You can rest assured that all the documents needed for Virginia ABC approval will be reviewed by our experts before presenting the package to Virginia ABC. Our experts will find and correct any issues before submitting the application to Virginia ABC. This results in a quicker license approval. You will not be surprised to know that documents needed for approval are not always indicated on applications. We know what is needed for approval. We are also the first to know of changes in the approval process.
*Disclaimer: This article and its contents represent the opinions of the author only and is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice. ABC Consulting is a private consulting firm, in way do we represent the VA Dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority. You should not act upon any such information without seeking qualified professional advice based upon your situation.