Most businesses start out as a frustration with something you can offer cheaper and better or from simply deciding to use a gift to make people happy. But how do you take this idea or this passion and make something profitable out of it? And do it without the “skill” of entrepreneurship? By being persistent staying on plan!
As retail alcohol license applications get submitted through ABC Consulting, we cannot help but get excited. We see inside the dreams of restaurants, day spas, B&Bs, wineries, breweries, or meaderie – and watch it turn into a reality, right on our screen. As we pour through the application, we get questions and those questions turn into communication and before we know it, we have a relationship with these applicants. Now, their dream is our dream – and it comes to life. If you make the right decisions, now, to grow in logical ways, your business will be more successful, in the future. Get out your pencil, ABC Consulting is going to tell you how to develop the SKILL of entrepreneurship and ultimately create a successful business.
- What is your mission? Be specific (know your “why”) because if you don’t have the vision in the beginning, the every-day tasks will quickly overwhelm you.
- How much time do you have to dedicate to this business (will you stay working elsewhere, for instance)?
- When you work from home, you aren’t on a clock, you don’t have anyone else to report to and it can be very difficult learning to be directed and have goals (daily, weekly and long-term). Create a plan that follows the money. In other words, do what makes you the most money, first. Don’t spend hours and hours on a prospect that doesn’t look promising or perfecting your logo – spend your time smartly.
- Figure out a specific target market (you hope to make something that is appealing to all – but target your approach as specifically as possible, initially).
- Hire experts to do the things that you don’t like to do or you’re not good at, as soon as possible. Your business was probably built around something you’re an expert in. Do That. Outsource the rest!
- It is time to name your business and claim your website url. Here are your steps:
- After determining your domain name (search on www.GoDaddy.com ), make that name on all social media sites, making all URLs similar.
- Try to duplicate your company name in your domain name! BTW, I recommend having a company name that is different than your LLC name. The shorter the domain name, the better.
- Get a one-page website up and live – before you open.
- Add a blog to your website, at this stage. A blog on your website will increase Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Register your company with the VA SCC.
- Get a mentor – a solid mentor – in fact, a great business mentor may be the most valuable tool you use, as a founder. They can shave years off of your business journey by helping you avoid costly mistakes. They can make introductions to investors or clients. And a mentor isn’t only someone who is successful. A mentor is someone who wants YOU to be successful. Tell your mentor who you are and what you want to create so they can get to the heart of you and your business, as soon as possible. Describe the perfect customer (who do you want to serve, who can you help the most, etc.) and then ask them for an introduction to that perfect customer. Practice and memorize your elevator pitch (exactly who you serve, what sets you apart from your competition and what problem your business or product solves) with your mentor. Your mentor or coach will hold you accountable to your goals.
- Take every opportunity to sell – your friends, social media, groups, meetups, etc. Create a plan to meet your target and then go meet that target (even if it is online and can be targeted in your marketing).
My last pieces of advice may be the most important! 1) Surround yourself with successful people that cheer you on. 2) You are simply a vessel that money flows through. Don’t stop the flow of money with a mindset of LACK! Always stay positive and optimistic about money. 3) Be grateful! Be grateful for closed doors and new opportunities. The quickest way to lose money (and subsequently stop the flow) is lack of gratitude.
Start Up your business, RIGHT! Apply for your alcohol license, here.
*Disclaimer: this article and its contents represent the opinions of the author, only. It is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice. ABC Consulting is a private consulting firm, and in no way do we represent the Va dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority. You should not act upon any such information without seeking qualified professional advice based upon your situation.