How long does it take to get an alcohol license in Virginia?

Obtaining an ABC license in Virginia can be a daunting, long, tedious process.

However, it doesn't have to be when you hire the best.  Documents, articles, leases, permits, agreements, etc. needed for license approval require great attention to detail and accuracy prior to submitting to the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (VA ABC). New licensing procedures require all license applications to be processed at VA ABC headquarters in Richmond. Your application is reviewed and approved in Richmond prior to being approved locally.  During the licensing process your assigned Special Agent will conduct a site inspection prior to issuing the license. ABC Consulting has many years of experience in processing VA ABC applications. Our sophisticated approach to locality permits, licenses, and required documents will result in accurate submission of required documents composed in a such way that is acceptable to VA ABC. ABC Consulting ensures a quick license approval. We are the EXPERTS!

Why choose ABC Consulting to be your consultant?

Simply said We are the BEST.  We are the experts. We get things DONE!  We have the attention to detail needed to ensure quick license approval.  ABC Consulting will prepare and present your application to VA ABC accurately resulting in a quicker issuance of the license; conduct state certified T.O.A.S.T. VA training to you and your staff resulting in reduced penalties; provide insight on how to meet the required ratio; assist with MBAR filing; process license renewals; process license type and membership changes; assist with hearings and appeals preparation; provide advertising guidance; and most importantly, improve the value of your license. It only makes sense to have an expert process your licensing matters.  

Why choose ABC Consulting to prepare your VA ABC license application?

ABC Consulting was created by Crystal E. Stump, a former Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Special Agent. During her years as a Special Agent she saw countless examples of VA ABC license applicants who underestimated the level of detail and the degree of attention and precision necessary for successfully presenting a license application to VA ABC. This lack of understanding and attention to detail was the most common reason applications were not approved. VA ABC processes thousands of applications a year and an incomplete or inaccurate application is grounds for an application hearing which can result in lengthy delays, or the denial of the license. When ABC Consulting processes alcohol license applications, it allows the client to focus on getting their business ready for operation while the application is diligently being processed by the experts.   We know how to complete the application properly, and we know how to present it to VA ABC so no unforeseen problems arise. We then communicate directly with VA ABC on your behalf to ensure that your license is issued promptly and fairly.

How much does ABC Consulting cost?

ABC Consulting offers a variety of packages in order to serve different types of Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage licensees and everyone's budget. If you are interested in learning how valuable adding an ABC Consultant to your business is, call us 800.785.0161. An expert is standing by to answer your questions.  You will be surprised how affordable we really are.  

What are the fees associated with applying for an ABC license?

The state fees vary depending on the license type.  

Call us today 800.785.0161 to receive an estimate for the licensee fees associated with your license type.


Are there other fees associated with obtaining a VA Alcohol license?

Applicants should be aware localities charge various fees for permits associated with businesses. Some localities require alcohol licensing in addition to state licensing.

How do I apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

If you do not already have an Employer Identification Number (EIN)  you will need one prior to submitting a Virginia alcohol license application.  We can apply for the EIN on your behalf and ensure it meets Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control requirements.


How do I register my company with the State Corporation Commission?

Registering your company with the Virginia State Corporation Commission is required by the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.  Often times, this registration is done incorrectly.  Before registering your company contact an expert, we know how it needs to be done, making amendments later is very time consuming.  We do it right the first time.  Call 800.785.0161

How do I register my trade name or trademark?

Trade name registration is different from a trademark registration.  Don't worry we handle both.  Registering your trade name or DBA with locality and state is a service we take care of in addition if you wish to trademark your logo we do that too! One-Stop-Shop!

How do I obtain a DMV driving record?

You must provide a driving transcript as part of your Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control alcohol application packet.  You may either visit a DMV office and request such report in person or we can obtain the transcript on your behalf.  We are awesome like that because we know your time is valuable.  

How do I register for a VA sales tax ID?

You may register online for your VA Sales and Use Certificate--BUT do not do it prior to obtaining your EIN.  Better yet, let us handle it to be sure the certificate properly meets the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control licensing requirements.  It is much easier to do registrations correctly the first time.


Does the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control have a food to alcohol ratio requirement?

It is a bit complicated figuring the ratio.  We audit monthly sales and ratio for our clients to ensure compliance with the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control regulations.  One less thing our client's have to think about each month.  

Can licensees advertise happy hour in the media?

Schedule T.O.A.S.T. VA training to learn the do's and don't's of "Happy Hour."  In addition to learning all of the regulations related to "Happy Hour" our participants will leave class state-certified.  There is power in education.  Get educated if you plan to do business in VA.  Invest in training to avoid the pit-falls of non-compliance and costly penalties.  

Can a licensee applicant operate using the current licensee's license?

In some cases The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control will allow a license applicant to use an active license while waiting on a new license to be granted.  Like many things related to government regulations there are exceptions.  There are time-sensitive requirements. Often licensee applicants contact us too late and exceptions cannot be made. Trying to do things yourself can be costly if you are not experienced.  Call us, an expert is standing by to assist you.  800.785.0161