How is business, Virginia? When I drive around and listen to the news, it seems that June is busting out all over. All systems go for the amusement parks in Williamsburg and Virginia Beach – so tourism is in full swing for the first time in 15 months. Virginia restaurants are hosting more patrons and now have more foot traffic in one day than they used to have in a week….but there does seem to be a problem that is effecting you all: a shortage in workers. According to our sources, many restaurants are likely nearing 80% of their pre-pandemic revenue levels, with difficulty in getting/keeping employees. What that means for most of you is that you are now getting your hands dirty, filling in for missing and no-show employees. While full recovery for the industry is definitely underway, the biggest revenue factor for restaurants is a restricted labor force. Some ideas to help you during this time:
- Pay a premium hourly (for the entire day) for any employee that show up, on time.
- Close one day a week.
- Have your hostess bus tables and get a portion of the tips.
- Limit your menu to specials so that the kitchen can keep up.
- Stick to ToGo orders, only – many of the fast-food restaurants have not reopened the dining room to help alleviate employee woes.
It will take time for the restaurant industry to fully recover. But, it will recover. ABC Consulting is a glass half-full company – a company of dreamers who dream big dreams and attract good things to ourselves. Are you that kind of business owner?
- Stay positive and focus on lifting others up, around you!
- Don’t get trapped in the glass half-empty mindset. Notice your best employees – reward them well – for showing up during shifts where others don’t. They will continue to treat you well, during this time.
- Walk the dining room and greet your guests. Welcome one and all.
This will pass – we are sure of it. As a business owner, it’s your responsibility to plan for the worst and attract the best. Treat them well; train them even better. Have more questions? We welcome them! No matter what kind of business you are in or Starting Up, we can help. Call us: 800-785-0161
*Disclaimer: This article and its contents represent the opinions of the author only. It is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice. ABC Consulting is a private consulting firm, and in no way do we represent the VA ABC Authority. You should not act upon any such information without seeking qualified professional advice based upon your situation.