Process for getting a Wine & Beer Shippers License

The requirements for a Shippers License are that your business must be a Brewery, Winery, or an Off-Premises Licensee

If you want to add shipping privilege to your alcohol license, ABC Consulting can help! All shipments of beer, wine, or farm wine must be shipped by a Virginia-ABC licensed Common Carrier (Meadow Lark Transport #1486, FedEx Express #1000, United Parcel Service #1001, FedEx Ground #1002, Central Hauling Co. #1126, or Calark #1127).

Shipper's License from ABC Consulting 800-785-0161

Contact us and we will be happy to get you a Shippers License for a low flat fee. With this license, you’ll be able to sell and ship no more than two cases of wine or two cases of beer, per month, to any person in the Commonwealth of Virginia (for personal consumption and not for resale). We’ll review the submitted requirements and make sure the application is complete before we send it to the VA ABC Authority – assuring its faster turnaround. We’ll continue to communicate with you and get in touch with the VA ABC Authority, if necessary:

  • Submit copy of charter status for a corporation or limited liability company.
  • Submit copy of articles of incorporation or organization.
  • Submit copies of federal/state licenses or permits that authorize the applicant to manufacture wine and/or beer (wineries, breweries or farm wineries).
  • Submit copies of state licenses that authorize the sale of wine and/or beer at retail.
  • Submit list of brands of wine/beer that applicant will ship.
  • Any winery, farm winery or brewery must notify any wholesalers licensed in Virginia to distribute their brands that an application for a shipper’s license has been filed. Send ABC a copy of the letter, or a letter stating you have no wholesalers in Virginia.
  • Have a Virginia state sales tax number.
  • Submit copies of federal label approvals for any products to be shipped into Virginia that do not have Virginia label approvals.
  • Applicants for shipper’s license who do not own or have rights to control the distribution of the wine/beer identified in the application must provide written consent of the winery, farm winery or brewery whose brands will be shipped. 

If you are not ready to begin your application, let’s talk: 800-785-0161

*Disclaimer: This article and its contents represent the opinions of the author only. It is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice. ABC Consulting is a private consulting firm, and in no way do we represent the VA ABC Authority. You should not act upon any such information without seeking qualified professional advice based upon your situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *