Every licensee in Virginia will be “tested” annually (and in some cases multiple times per year. ) by a UAB. I, Crystal Stump, and Kevin Anderson, an ABC Consulting consultant used to be UAB’s – that is how we started our careers, by testing Virginia businesses. Look at us, now!
What is a UAB? An Underage Buyer, employed by the VA ABC Authority, to assist the Enforcement Division with Underage Buyer (UAB) Checks. This UAB (just like Kevin and I once were) is ACTUALLY under 21 years of age.
UAB will carry their true/valid ID showing they are under 21 years of age.
UAB will tell their true age, when asked.
UAB will approach seller/server and attempt to purchase alcohol.
WOOPS – what if a sale is made to UAB! What happens then?
- the seller/server is arrested for selling alcohol to a person under 21 years of age. They must appear in General District Court. If this employee is convicted, they could serve up to 12 months in jail and/or pay a fine up to $2,500.00.
- the licensee (the owner of the business) is charged, administratively. They also must go to court. They will attend a VA ABC Authority Hearing. The penalty for your 1st offense is $2,500.00 or 25 day suspension. 2nd offense? A whopping $4,000.00 fine.
How can you pass your UAB Check???
- If someone looks underage and attempts to purchase alcohol ask, “How Old Are you?”
- Notice if the ID provided is a Vertical ID (Vertical ID’s in VA indicate under 21).
- Notice at the bottom of the ID the date in which the person turns 21.
- Be sure all staff are TOAST VA certified, BEFORE they start working. Training reduces penalties. Training is online and self paced and only costs $29.95.
- Use an ID Scanner.
- Have an Employee Policy for Checking IDs.
*Disclaimer: This article and its contents represent the opinions of the author only and is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice. ABC Consulting is a private consulting firm, in no way do we represent the VA ABC Authority. You should not act upon any such information without seeking qualified professional advice, based upon your situation.